Saturday, September 16, 2006

Home Remedies

Natural medicine and home remedies have a big following in these parts. I was astonished by some of them after I moved here, to North Carolina. (I shared a few of these on Rev. Devonshire's blog). Here's an example:
  • ear ache - a few drops of warm urine in the ear
  • bee sting - a dab of moist tobacco eases the pain and inflammation (usually the mother takes the tobacco from her own mouth)
  • sore throat - a tablespoon of kerosene and sugar
  • bronchitis - rub kerosene on the chest to loosen the phlegm
  • cold/flu with fever - peel an onion and cut it in half, put a half onion to the bottom of either foot and wrap, to break the fever
  • warts - a specially trained person will "talk the warts off" (he/she quotes some scripture incantations that have been handed down for generations "from a man to a woman or a woman to a man"--if a man tells a man, or woman tells a woman, how to do it, it won't work)

I've never partaken of said remedies...but not for lack of being offered them! Actually, my former chiropractor did the "talking the warts off" treatment to me (without my knowledge or approval). No, it didn't work.
I know that Jesus used spittle one time when healing a blind man (Jesus can use his saliva on me any time!). But, I am so thankful for the word of God, where James, chapter 5, says:
[14] Is any sick among you? let him call for the elders of the church; and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord: [15] And the prayer of faith shall save the sick, and the Lord shall raise him up;

No comments: