Saturday, September 09, 2006

Home Canning - A Family Affair

One of my fondest memories is of sitting on the front porch of my Aunt Wanda's house during the hot days of summer. Mom, Aunt Wanda, and Mamaw were canning. It was a women-of-the-family affair, with me and two of Wanda's daughters helping (though my dad liked to help, too).
Canning day was fun, except when it was monotonous. My job as the youngest, about age nine, was to shuck the corn, string and snap the beans, and peel the peaches. I sat on the porch with Mamaw and Dad and shucked, strung, snapped and peeled all day long. Even now, I see mounds of corn and beans. I really don't remember ever getting done.
Wanda's girls, older than me, got the important jobs. The younger girl washed and scalded the jars, while the older one got to do the dangerous (translated: fun) stuff. I walked into the kitchen from time to time, and was in awe of the whole scene: the whistling pressure cooker, the boiling jars and rings, and the pouring of paraffin wax onto fruit jelly. Then, I dutifully marched back to the front porch and shucked, strung, snapped and peeled. At least I got to be a part. I felt important.
Later that year, my mom would send me to the pantry to recruit canned vegetables for a meal. Reviewing the formation of green beans on the shelf was a heady task. I walked the rows, inspecting the jars. Which one would pull duty that day? Which would join forces with a boiling stew to fend off the snowy cold of a winter's day? Alas, Mom would enter and say to use the jars in front first.
Time seemed to stand still back then. I knew nothing of its fleeting nature—that the changing of seasons represented more than school days or summer, Christmas or the Fourth of July. Each day that passed was gone for ever. The women of my family, however, gave me something that would last as long I live—as long as I could remember those days of shucking, stringing, snapping and peeling—a sense of continuity, of unity, of purpose, of family.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd much rather sit on the porch in the breeze than get stuck in the kitchen with all that steam and heat. However, I find canning one of the most satisfying tasks on earth. The finished products sitting in a row on the shelf are every bit as lovely as a string of many colored jewels. They also carried the promise that no matter how long and hard the winter, we were provided for and all would be well. Wonderful memories of those times as oldest daughter helping my mother care for the family. Blessings Gayla

Angie said...

Thank you for sharing your canning memories. I have never done any canning as an adult, though I have put up corn, green beans, and blueberries in the freezer before.

Angie said...

and, Gayla...you are welcome to post anytime. I really enjoyed your comments!

Anonymous said...

Oh how I would like to can next year. I am hoping to put in a garden (big) next year and start canning. I have been saying that for a long time but now we are settled into a house and can't wait to start it.