Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Roughing It

We had no water for some time today. That's because a friend, who was trying to snake a clogged drain under the house, accidentally broke an old water pipe. He had to turn off the water and go buy more parts.
Ironically, we had too much water yesterday. It flowed out of my dishwasher and onto the floor, because the drain was clogged under the house.
To top it all off, the central heat/air has been out for several weeks. The contractor is supposed to come this week and put in a new unit...that is, if he doesn't get delayed AGAIN. So, we struggled through the summer's end with no air conditioning, and now we think we're freezing in our unseasonable cold weather. (Tonight's forecast is 28° Fahrenheit.)
I was just telling my sister today how we have no heat, and no running water. She said, "You might as well stay in a tent." I gave it some thought, while I hovered near the space heater.
Well, at least there's that—a space heater! And the water came back on in time for a rush to the bathroom. Tomorrow may be another story. For now, I'm going to bed, to bask in the warmth of the space heater.

No comments: