Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Another Lost Uncle

My uncle Dick died this past Sunday, the day after Veteran's Day. He was a Korean War veteran, a retired small-business owner and a family man. He was seventy-five. He was married to my mom's half-sister, Helen.
My aunt was only sixteen when they married; Uncle Dick was forty-one. Odds for a successful marriage may not have been good, but they made it work for thirty-four years, until death finally parted them.
I've lost three uncles in the last two years. Seems like my family is just slipping away, like sand through my fingers, and I'm one of the "old people" now. I mean, I'm a great-aunt! The cycle of life is quite exciting...seeing young ones come along and how they grow, what kinds of decisions they make, the kinds of people they become. But the cycle brings sadness on a day like yesterday, when I learned I have lost another uncle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your loved one; it is never easy. Pictures are a great source to reflect back on memories of years gone by....
Yes I saw that where you had a pic of your great-grandchild; wow, hard to believe!

Stedfast said...

Sorry to hear about your uncle, praying for God's comfort to you and your family.

Angie said...

Thank you all for your condolences. I was thinking last night that I'm going to have to scan all my photo albums and save them. That way I can post a picture, now and then, of whomever I tell you about.

Anonymous said...

You know, when my grandmother passed away, an uncle went through a trunk of hers and scanned all the pics. He gave me several CD's of them. Years really can deteriorate them, and some of them were in bad shape. It took me a good part of 6-8 mos of steady work, but I cropped them all, (he had scanned 4-5 at a time to safe his work, as you can well imagine) and I used a couple of photo programs to improve them, and fixed up some 1,800 photos! It is WELL worth the time...